Please note: As of August 15, 2007, the EMDR International Association has expanded the hours necessary to complete the basic training in EMDR. As a result of these new requirements, the Part 1 and Part 2 trainings have been expanded. Also, a ten hour group consultation requirement has been added. All phases of the trainings and consultation need to be satisfactorily completed to meet these new requirements.
ASSIGNMENTS FOR EACH TRAINING SECTION
EMDR TRAINING PART 1
1. Prior to the initial session, please read at least pages 1-104 in Shapiro's text. Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing: Basic Principles, Protocols and Procedures. 2nd ed. Guilford. 2001.
2. Read the Four Activity Model of Psychotherapy article available for downloading at HowardLipke.com/technical
3. Prior to the half day follow up session at the end of Part 1, do either one EMDR session or complete four (4) target assessment sheets. Bring copies to the session. You DO NOT have to do an extensive write-up re the EMDR session - a summary paragraph will be sufficient.
4. Continue reading Shapiro's text through p.220.
EMDR TRAINING PART 2
1. Prior to the initial session, please read through Chapter 10 (The Cognitive Interweave) in Shapiro's text.
2. After the second full day of training, but prior to the half day follow up session at the end of Part 2, to complete the basic EMDR Training, you must:
a. Finish reading Shapiro's text.
b. Do two (2) EMDR sessions using BLS with either two different clients or two sessions with the same client.
10 hours of group or individual consultation are needed to complete the EMDRIA requirements for basic EMDR training. Typically, I do this in groups of 8 or less over 5 sessions of 2 hours each. These groups focus on case consultation, additional practice and are designed to enhance your EMDR skills. These 10 hours of consultation may be obtained from me or any approved EMDR Consultant. (A list of EMDRIA approved consultants may be obtained at www.EMDRIA.org.)